Featured Post

Hi, I'm Dankest

     I'm new to this so wheather you are entertained, informed or think I'm crazy, thank you for stopping in. I like to talk about ...

Monday, February 15, 2016

Values of the past

     Something has me thinking, it's video game related so it belongs here I think. I suppose it stems from Valentines day as that just passed. We all have games we love. Something that you played back in grade school, or maybe the first game you ever 100% (Skyrim for me, before the DLC). No matter what genre, how complicated or the depth of a game we gamers will revisit our favorites time and time again. Don't get me started on the hype we hold for a re make.. Damn you Square Enix... (jk, love you guys). It goes without saying that we treasure these games and will always remember 'the good ones'. Re play value is priceless.
     Games these days however I find myself struggling to pick back up after beating. Not to say that 'No good games are coming out!' but that it feels like a chore to trudge through the same linear story or knowing exactly how many enemies are in the next room and where they stand. The Last of Us was an amazing game! I loved it! I streamed my first two play troughs on Twitch, but when it came down to completing it two more times to finish off the trophies I ran outta steam. By that time the game was what some call broken for me and I slowly lost interest. So I rented Until Dawn. Truly a remarkable game, as far as the way it was delivered. Yes the choices were kinda linear, and some didn't seem to matter, but I have never played a game with this feel. Mostly it was a choose your own adventure horror movie, but it was well put together. Alas, the same problem occurred. With the story relieved I had nothing to surprise me, I already knew the puzzles and the quickest choices yet there was more to collect. I would say try to rent it if you can but there is little replay value.
     Nostalgia is one of the things that makes my hunger for gaming strong and I know there are gamers of every type but in my humble oppinion, Re play value is one of the key things a game needs to truely be loved, and I think it is fading away. So in a personal protest to this, I will be spending time re playing through some of my newer steam games! Expect reviews!
And of course, Happy Gaming!
- Dankest

No comments:

Post a Comment