Featured Post

Hi, I'm Dankest

     I'm new to this so wheather you are entertained, informed or think I'm crazy, thank you for stopping in. I like to talk about ...

Monday, February 15, 2016

Keep your mind open

     I like to think that I am pretty open when it comes to video games. I'll try a game even if it doesn't sound like my kind of game, if a friend suggests it well enough. I suppose this is why I have a group in my Steam library labeled 'Junk' with 22+ games in it. I really don't mind that though, it exposes me to other worlds of play even if its not my preferred way. I feel that the key to really enjoying a game, good or not, is to dive head first. Ignore the world for 20 min and you will know if a game is worth it. This is not true of all games however. More than once (and once was too much) I've purchased/rented a game, started playing it and at the 20 min mark something made me think 'If I just do this next quest maybe some other mechanic will come into play..' only to beat the game in the next hour.
     On the topic of looking for games, it seems the world is going mad. We have shooters that allow you to move exponentially better than a human, sandbox style space games, time manipulating side scrollers, a simulation for everything and in heavy development comes the holy grail , VR. With all this evolution we are starting to lose some of the classic categories of gaming. True enough titles like Destiny defiantly fall under FPS but it also has elements of RPGs and MMOs. For me Borderlands was an acceptable FPS/RPG because of the depth of the RPG aspect. Destiny is a great shooter, I love it for that, however it's RPG aspect is low, and it only has the MMO parts I didn't like. I don't mind being a social gamer but why, when every other game mode has match making, do I have to build my own party for end game content? Point being, this is just one example of a classification error in my own opinion that exists in many, many of the newer games I have seen.
     Don't take me the wrong way, I played the beta for Black Ops 3. It was amazing! Fallout 4 is a must play as well! If you played Fallout 3 or New Vegas before 4, you will defiantly understand my ravings here lol. I just don't want to see the game types I grew up with die off or get over complicated. You know how long it's been since I played a 'New' classic style turn based RPG? I don't know off hand but it's been a while since I have even seen one I haven't at least checked out before. I suppose I need to get used to the idea of it being left behind..Just like the WiiU... Didn't even know it was coming, poor little guy..
Sincerely,
- Dankest

No comments:

Post a Comment